La Caribbean Taste Mango Rhythm Vegan Chili
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
1 white or yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp LA CARIBBEAN TASTE Mango Rhythm Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, (optional) for spicy chili
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (1.5 cups, see notes)
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (1.5 cups)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, with the juices
1.5 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cocoa powder sea salt to taste, if needed
1. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic to a large soup pot with 1-2 tbsp of water or vegetable broth. Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the oregano and cumin, stir to combine, and cook for a couple more minutes. If the pot starts to dry out, add a splash of water.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer lightly for 15 minutes, and then add LA CARIBBEAN TASTE Mango Rhythm Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce and stir.
4. Turn off the heat and let the chili sit for 5 minutes to thicken a little. It will continue to thicken in the fridge.
5. Serve right away with your favorite chili toppings. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
*NB: To thicken your Chili use a potato masher. All you have to do is take a potato masher and smash some (but not all) of the chili around. Mashing the beans and vegetables so that they break down and release their natural starches will help thicken the excess liquid while still leaving a good portion of the beans intact.